Thursday 23 February 2012

If you had to write a bucket list...

Nobody expects to die tomorrow, but if you did, would there be anything you wanted to do or change?

For me, I even have a bucket list of things to do before I'm 30! Thankfully my major one of getting a degree I managed to tick off. The second I hope to achieve in 2014, which is to finish the Race Across America Solo, after re-qualifying for the category in 2013. The third is a bit more obscure, to go to Ibiza before I'm 30 as I love dance music, so that would be something of a musical pilgrimage.
But in terms of things to do before I die, well I would love to travel more, see the northern lights, spend time in New York, have kids and do the whole marriage thing if anyone will have me!

I think if I died tomorrow, I wouldn't regret not doing these things, but I would regret if I hadn't done two other fairly major things though.

The first would be to get my new donor card sorted. I lost it last week annoyingly and I always wanted to make sure there wasn't someone who's life could have been saved, because I didn't organise myself properly for someone to know I wanted to donate my organs when I was gone.

The second was organising a will. I may not have much of a will worth giving just now or expect to pass away any time soon, but I always wanted to make sure that if I ever died, I had a Legacy will to help charities like Epilepsy Action or the Epilepsy Society. In the case of Epilepsy Action, it makes up 34% of the money they need to raise as a charity.
Not that we have regrets really when we die (although maybe we do, there will eventually be only one way to find out), but I would always want to know when I'm alive, that if the very worst thing happened, I would leave a legacy that was more than just some cycling medals or a story to tell at a funeral.

I think it's fantastic to leave something to help your family, but for charities like Epilepsy Action, it could be the difference between having an Epilepsy Nurse available to help patients with advice and support and not being able to afford one.


It's horrible to think about death for anyone, but a charity legacy could be a shining light for someone with Epilepsy - you could be saving a life too.

No comments:

Post a Comment